Monday, June 13, 2011

Motorcycle road test


There are different types of exams people may have to take in their countries in order to obtain a motorcycle license. In the case of the province of Quebec, in Canada, there are three exams: theoretical exam on motorcycle specifics and highway safety code, closed circuit exam on slow speed control and emergency manoeuvres, and finally the road test: riding the bike in all possible urban environments to prove your competence and earn your license. And I have just done it!



It is a stressful experience to pass these exams. The way the road test is done here is that the examined rides a 400cc+ motorcycle in front of a car in which the examiner and a dedicated driver are. Instructions for the turns are fed through a one-way radio with an earpiece in the helmet. The examined person is responsible for doing all the lane changing, signs observing and the job of obeying all rules in general.

A minimum limit on the displacement of the motorcycle used for this exam meant that I had to rent a bike. What I got was a Suzuki GS500 shown in the photo above (not the same particular bike I used though). It is quite an easy motorcycle to ride, and thankfully my exam went very smoothly with the exception of one bad mistake in my opinion. This mistake was probably enough to fail me, but because I was friendly towards the examiner from the very beginning and because I did so well in general, that mistake was forgotten and I passed.

The moral of the story: do not think that your examiner wants to fail you; do not give up, even if you make a bad mistake and think you've already failed, because maybe you haven't failed; relax, enjoy the ride and give your best. Good luck to all of you who have to pass some kinds of exams in the future!

0 comments:

Post a Comment