Monday, June 13, 2011

First ride in the rain


With the climate here, people always are faced with the rain at some point. Riders in Quebec should be prepared for such situations when it rains, but this was my first time having to deal with it. Here is what happened.

I have already posted on what riders should do in the rain. What I realised yesterday was that as long as you ride smoothly, there are no problems. Even the skinny new tires of the Ninja 250 had enough grip to keep me safe. However, there was another problem, and a big one too.

When it is solidly raining, as long as your helmet has an anti-fog coating on the inside you will be fine. In a drizzle, on the other hand, I thought that riding was an absolute nightmare. The tiny water droplets stuck to my visor, creating a dizzying coating of hundreds of refracting lenses. To my taste, this was even worse than a fogged up visor since it did not reduce the vision distance, but distorted it to a point where my only reference points were cars' stop lights and traffic lights. Wiping the droplets with my glove did not seem to have any effect on improving my vision. Opening the visor allowed me to see clearly, but at higher speeds it was difficult to keep the eyes open with all the drizzle forced into them. 

I have no idea if there is a visor coating or technique to solve this problem. Could I possibly have some advice via the comments section below? 




0 comments:

Post a Comment