Friday, March 30, 2012

Scorpion EXO-400


As I am planning on buying a new helmet soon, I have decided to share my impressions of the Scorpion EXO 400 which I have used for the past year.

Because this is my first helmet and I do not have anything else to compare it to, I will try to give more concrete observations of the performance of this helmet, rather than relative ones. I also realize that now this helmet is discontinued, but this review can be used as a basis for recognizing the importance of some major changes that have occurred in the newer EXO-500 model of this helmet.

First thing first, I have an oval shaped face, and this helmet is meant for oval shaped faces. At the time I bought this helmet, most models were meant for oval shaped faces. When determining the proper helmet size for my head, Scorpion's guide showed I need a Medium helmet. Despite that, after trying on an EXO-700, I decided to buy a size small, and that was a good call, as I think even an extra-small would fit me. So, be careful with the Scorpion's sizing chart. From what I have read about the EXO-500, the company have changed the shape to fit slightly rounder faces, but this should not be a problem for people with thin faces, since they have incorporated the cheek-pad pump system, allowing the user to tighten the fit of the helmet. One thing I can say is, after a few hours of wearing, my Scorpion helmet became so comfortable that I could not feel any disturbance or weight on my head. Great fit.

A feature offered by all Scorpion helmets is the KwikWick pads. I have only one thing to say about this: it works great and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

I am not sure I can say the same about their anti-fog visors. Every time I read about it on the internet, people seem to love the anti-fog coating on the visors. Compared to my friend's HJC without coating, yes it works. However, I can't say it is absolutely 100% fog proof as often stated. I have to sometimes ride at temperatures of about 6 C, and although I do not experience as much fogging as I would in a non-coated helmet, there could still appear a very fine layer of condensation, just enough to blur my vision and force me to open the visor to vent.

I cannot tell whether the Scorpion EXO-400 is silent or not. Online reviews say it is; in my opinion it was noisy on the highway (to the point I had to wear ear-plugs). What I can say though is that due to the lack of insulation on the top edge of the visor above the hinge, an open small chamber forms which can create whistling sound at certain speeds. I was very glad to notice that on the new EXO-500, there is an additional rubber insulation around that area and the shield itself has increased in size a bit to more successfully cover the spot.

Venting was decent, but still hot as hell in summer.

To conclude, I don't think there would have been a better helmet at this price-range, considering how comfortable this Scorpion EXO-400 is. It is perfect for the city, but has some small problems on the highway and at low temperatures. I am excited to try a helmet of the new Scorpion series, as I believe the problems I have encountered so far were addressed and resolved. I can recommend Scorpion as a brand providing the most extras on a helmet for a given price. Do not forget that most new Scorpion helmets even have and internal sun-visor as default option!

0 comments:

Post a Comment