Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Brutus 2.0, the electric delight, or not



Hi everyone! I've just seen an electric custom, chopper...-ish thing on engadget.com. Let's see if I can express well enough what I think of it. Check what the real Brutus is after the break.

First of all, let me clearly state my position on all things environmental. I detest seeing a man pull up in front of the store in a Ford F-150 alone, just to return with a bag of chips which he will then casually throw on the passenger seat. This is absolute waste of energy. How often would he use that passenger seat for its main purpose? And what about all that space on the back of the pick-up truck? Will he even use the truck for real loads once a month, or is that man driving a giant car just because he can? Truth is, cars often carry one person and waste energy meant for carrying 5 people plus luggage. On this case, I am for the environment. Every-day vehicles should be used optimally.

On the other hand, all this eco-friendly stuff that you can buy out there is, in my opinion, absolute pretence. What is eco-friendly about mining heavy metals and burning lots of fuel to transport them to refineries? And then make batteries, which when dead in a few years, will need to be disposed of in a special way, which, to be honest, most people would be too lazy to comply with. And let's not forget where most of electricity on Earth comes from: coal and oil.

So, as long as this motorcycle does not look as a light-cycle from TRON, it should not run on batteries. Most obvious problem: 100 miles range. And what if I go up in the mountains on a rainy day when I have to use the headlights? Or, how much would it take to charge the batteries? I know my tablet has a pretty good battery and it takes a couple of hours to charge.

Otherwise, it is quite heavy, very silent and probably quite dangerous because of that. Its style is targeted at people who like especially loud motorcycles too, so I don't know how's that going to work out for them. And if it doesn't catch on fire, it certainly has the most wrong name that one could choose for such a vehicle.

THIS IS BRUTUS:


Anyway, I certainly appreciate this motorcycle as a project, as a demonstration of what can be created. But, I do not see any real application of it.

1 comments:

Yves said...

Please do not hate on this post and call me misinformed or uneducated. Such personal offenses will, of course, not be tolerated. After all it is my blog you are trying to comment on ;)
You perfectly know what is written in this post is true. Information might have been omitted, but if you were educated enough you would know how to use this to argue against my position on this issue. Personal offense is a fallacy and it only shows how you, Anonymous, are the misinformed and uneducated one.

Post a Comment