Monday, November 28, 2011

Experience with chain lube


So, I've had to clean my motorcycle's chain a few times now, and I think I've found the best chain lube to use. In the beginning, I didn't know where to shop for chain lubes, so my choice was limited to whatever Canadian Tire has. I was using PJ-1 black label, however...

PJ-1 is a nasty lube to put on the chain. It's very gooey and messy to apply, and no matter how much I wiped the chain, it always got sprayed all over my chain protector and rear tyre rim... I still need to wipe the rim with degreaser, it's so badly messed up because of the PJ-1. Yes, I might have put a little too much of that lube, but I surely wiped the heck out of it afterwards; there shouldn't have been excess left on the chain.

Anyway, now I have new lube. I wanted to try an alternative, so I didn't even wait for the old bottle of PJ to finish. Here's the new product I use:

ipone racing chain

This thing comes out as a fluid instead of gooey substance and is much easier to apply. I did not feel like I need to wipe the chain afterwards; it just looked really well applied. It also gives a white tint to the chain. making it, in my opinion, better and cleaner looking. I am really satisfied with this lube and I can recommend it for effortless application. As for flinging off: I haven't ridden with this lube applied yet, so I can't really tell if it will spray, but considering its texture, I think it will be much better.

Another new product that I used this time was Tirox chain cleaner, with the quite useful 360 brush. It's basically a kerosene based cleaner combined with a spiral brush which helps get rid of the dirt on the chain quite a lot. I used to clean the chain with WD-40 before, but some people say it's not good, so I tried something new and I liked it.

I really think these two products make maintaining the chain easier. I am really satisfied with them for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment