Thursday, July 7, 2011

Chain lube brands


Lubricating the chain on a motorcycle is one of the most frequent maintenance task done. It is crucial for your safety to properly maintain the chain of your motorcycle. I've been riding in the rain a few times, and dirt is starting to layer itself on the chain of the ninja 250. So, it's time to start looking for a good brand of chain lube.

Probably just like other beginner riders, I didn't have any clue what brands of chain lube there are before. After going through some forums and reading reviews, I have listed the most famous brands of chain lube. They all should take good care of lubricating the chain. The main difference between them seems to be their colour and resistance to flinging off the chain the first time you ride after applying. This is important feature for a chain lube, as it will protect your fairings and probably clothes from getting messy when you ride. Use this post only as a guide to which brands to look for, as the opinions I provide are not my own, but those of people who wrote very contradictory things about the chain lubes on the internet.


Maxima Chain Wax and Bel-Ray Super Clean: Not exactly lube, but highly appreciated by many people. Since it is wax, I would guess it would last more on the chain in moist conditions, but attract more dirt as well. It could fling off moderately. An alternative to this one would be Bel-Rays Super Clean, which does not fling off, but paints your chain in white. 





PJ-1 Black Label: Now for the other group of people, the PJ-1 fans. These guys do not seem to really review any other products and are confident that the PJ-1 Black Label is 'The Best' chain lube out there. However, occasionally I do see someone complaining from it flinging off too much. Could it be because of improper application? I don't know, but the PJ-1 seems to be quite expensive too and widely available (at least in my area). 



DuPont Teflon Multi-Use: This will probably be my choice. Unfortunately, it is the most difficult brand to find here. However, I could not find one negative comment about it and people who used the other brands and switched to DuPont's product at some point, stuck to it ever since. If I cannot find it, then I will think about Maxima's product or PJ-1. Bel-Ray might be a great one, but nowhere to be found.


If you have had some real experience with these brands, please share your objective view on them in the section below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment